Lakeside Union School District History

Lakeside School 1909

History of Lakeside Schools

  • August 11, 1889: First Lakeside school class meets in John Beadle's horse shed at corner of Sycamore and River Streets

    March 4, 1890: Lakeside Grammar School District formed by action of the San Diego County Board of Supervisors

     

    September 1890: First school opens on Benedict Ave

     

    February 16, 1891: Cowles School District formed from portions of Cajon, Grantville, Lakeside, Linda Vista and Stowe School Districts

     

    March 25, 1896: Lapsed Vicente School District attached to Ord School District and Lakeside Grammar School District

     

    April 5, 1897: Ord School District lapsed and attached to Earle and Barona School Districts and Lakeside Grammar School District

     

    April 4, 1900: Portion of Lakeside Grammar School District annexed to Barona School District

     

    December 3, 1902: Barona School District lapsed and annexed to Lakeside Grammar, Earle, Santa Maria and El Capitan School Districts

     

    February 7, 1912: Portions of Lakeside Grammar and El Cajon School Districts annexed to Santee School District

     

    September 1912: Second school opens on Benedict

     

    January 8, 1913: Foster School District formed from Poway, El Capitan School Districts and Lakeside Grammar School Disrict

     

    February 10, 1915: El Monte School District formed from portions of Lakeview and Lakeside Grammar School District

     

    June 20,1916: El Monte, Foster, Lakeview, Santee and Lakeside Grammar School Districts vote to form Riverview Union High School District

     

    July 21, 1920: Riverview Union High School District and El Cajon Valley Union High School District elect to form Grossmont Union High School District

     

    June 20, 1923: El Monte and Lakeside Grammar School Districts vote to form the Lakeside Union School District

     

    February 20, 1928: Foster School District annexed to Lakeside Union Grammar School District 

     

    February, 1938: Dedication of new classrooms, cafeteria and offices at Lakeside Union Grammar School

     

    August 7, 1939: Portions of El Monte School District and Lakeside Union Grammar School District annexed to Lakeview School District (Cajon Valley Union) and portions of El Capitan School District (Cajon Valley Union) annexed to El Monte School District (Lakeside Union School District)

     

    1945: The name of the school district is changed to eliminate the word Grammar. The name is now Lakeside Union School District.

     

    September 1956: Lakeside Farms Elementary School opened

     

    September 1959: Lakeview Elementary School opened

     

    September 1960: Riverview Elementary School opened

     

    March 1961: Eucalyptus Hills Elementary School opened

     

    September 1964: Winter Gardens Elementary School opened

     

    October 1972: Tierra del Sol Middle School opened

     

    May 1991: Lemon Crest Elementary opened

     

    September 1997: River Valley Charter School opened

     

    September 2002: Barona Indian Charter opened

     

     

     

     

     

Superintendents

  • 1929-1945 Mr. E.H. Carender
    1945-1947 Mr. Gerald Priniville
    1947-1954 Mr. Elmer Walker
    1954-1969 Mr. M.R. Kneale
    1969-1983 Dr. Robert D. Muscio
    1983-1988 Mr. James Thompson
    1988-1998 Dr. Jacqueline Spacek
    1998-2004 Dr. Carol Lieghty
    2004-2011 Dr. Steven Halfaker
    2011-2012 Dr. Brian Bristol
    2013-2017 Dr. David Lorden
Last Modified on April 24, 2017